Bull in a China Shop

SERVING UP HOT STEAMING PLATES OF CRAP ON THE GOOD DISHES

Thursday, February 03, 2005

Jobs for an introvert

I hate this job. OK, I am glad I have a job in this economy. But, I really dislike my job. And I can't think of a time when I did like any job I had.

No, wait. I worked in kennels when I was in college, and I loved it. Animals love you unconditionally. They are always happy to see you. They never tell you that you are fat, or that you have disappointed them, or that you have to stop singing "Copacabana" because you are disturbing others. People on the other hand. Well... I could do without most of them. Oh jeez. Now you are going to think I am some sort of loner/hermit lurking around in my house with the shades drawn and my nose stuck to the computer screen.

I am actually very social. I get along well with everyone. I work in Human Resources for Pete's sake! But, I really need time alone. Everyday. Hours of time alone.... sigh. I confess I am an introvert. Now, I don't say it that way because I am ashamed. On the contrary, I am a proud introvert. Its just the rest of the world ( OK, 80% ) is NOT introverted and you think us "intros" are weird. Like there is something wrong with us or something! Just because we appreciate our own company and can enjoy moments of deep thought, and we don't need the TV on constantly; there MUST be something wrong. Right?

Anyway, my point is ( thank you for getting to the point already) that I am not doing what I wanted to be doing when I was growing up and thinking about what I wanted to be doing! I had so many ideas! Archeologist, photographer for National Geographic, children's award winning author, entomologist ( that's bugs, people,) criminalist, forensic psychologist, cartographer, maybe even jet pilot. And yet, where did I end up? Pushing paper around a desk at a not for profit organization full of unprofessional and vacant sheeple. (Those folks are fodder for another post...stay tuned.) Where did I go wrong? And why did I think, as I got older, that I couldn't be ANY of those things? And why can't I be one of those things now....

What did YOU want to be when you grew up, and are you living it now?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home